Hammer K3/B3/C3 Choice

hql287

Nieuw lid
20 jul 2021
Almere
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm a new member of woodworking.nl. It's nice to e-meet you all đź‘‹
Second of all, I'm not Dutch so have to apologize in advance about the English post, I hope it's allowed.(I'm working on my Dutch though :p)
(Btw, please let me know this post belongs to the right place, it's my first post)

As the title suggested, I'm looking to buy some machines from Hammer.
Initially, I wanted to go with the C3 31 because of the limited space that I have.
My shop is a 1-car garage with the size of ~ 15m2

However, after doing some research and review, I see that the rip fence of the C3 is also the fence of the jointer/planer so it's not as good as the dedicated fence that you would have on the K3 or the B3. I asked the representative of Felder and he said I could also purchase a separate rip fence to make it easier to use.
However, I further noticed that the rail for the fence to attach to is actually not locked in place, it moves with the planer table. See images

HAMMER_C3-31_guida-parallela-con-spigolo-continuo-per-tagli-paralleli.jpeg

1c11ddd2c9a66990751fac3ba3adb211.jpeg

That Means whenever you lift the plane table up to use the thicknesser, the fence rail will be moved with it. Some users have complaints about this making the fence becomes inaccurate and also not stable.

So my questions are:
  • If you own a C3, do you think this would be a major issue? If so, what could be done to prevent or eliminate this issue?
  • What do you think of the option to get the B3 and an A3? I know this would increase the used floor space but in return, I would have a dedicated rip fence as the K3
    • Do you think having a dedicated rip fence is worth the trade-off of the floor space?

Thank you very much!

Bests,

Hung

Laatst bewerkt:

studiodara

Actieve deelnemer
7 jun 2015
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm a new member of woodworking.nl. It's nice to e-meet you all đź‘‹
Second of all, I'm not Dutch so have to apologize in advance about the English post, I hope it's allowed.(I'm working on my Dutch though :p)
(Btw, please let me know this post belongs to the right place, it's my first post)

As the title suggested, I'm looking to buy some machines from Hammer.
Initially, I wanted to go with the C3 31 because of the limited space that I have.
My shop is a 1-car garage with the size of ~ 15m2

However, after doing some research and review, I see that the rip fence of the C3 is also the fence of the jointer/planer so it's not as good as the dedicated fence that you would have on the K3 or the B3. I asked the representative of Felder and he said I could also purchase a separate rip fence to make it easier to use.
However, I further noticed that the rail for the fence to attach to is actually not locked in place, it moves with the planer table. See images

Bekijk bijlage 105471

Bekijk bijlage 105470

That Means whenever you lift the plane table up to use the thicknesser, the fence rail will be moved with it. Some users have complaints about this making the fence becomes inaccurate and also not stable.

So my questions are:
  • If you own a C3, do you think this would be a major issue? If so, what could be done to prevent or eliminate this issue?
  • What do you think of the option to get the B3 and an A3? I know this would increase the used floor space but in return, I would have a dedicated rip fence as the K3
    • Do you think having a dedicated rip fence is worth the trade-off of the floor space?

Thank you very much!
Hello Hql287

I own a K3 and A3 for precisely the reasons you describe. I cannot tell u anything about a C3 but i chose two machines for the versatility in use. I put the A3 out of the way most of the time and have the K3 as heart of the space. And because i mainly use the thicknessplaner and the saw i did’t want the upright tables of the planer of the C3 to be in the way of my work on the saw. With the B3K3 choice u also have options to upgrade the bar on which the rip fence rests which i did and would recommend. A good thing to do is go check with people near you who own a C3 or B3/A3 so u can see for yourself.

Goodluck ! Dirk

• Leuk
Waarderingen: hql287

hql287

Nieuw lid
20 jul 2021
Almere
Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your reply.
Your explanation does make a lot of sense đź‘Ť

Good to know about this
I did’t want the upright tables of the planer of the C3 to be in the way of my work on the saw
Yes, I also plan to go with this option
With the B3K3 choice u also have options to upgrade the bar on which the rip fence rests which i did and would recommend
Thanks for the good suggestion, I actually went to Barneveld to see the machines in real life but I think seeing them in a real workshop will also provide valuable insight.
A good thing to do is go check with people near you who own a C3 or B3/A3 so u can see for yourself.
Do you know how to find out if there's anyone near me that owns a C3 or B3?

Cheers!

Hung

Deze plek is voor toekomstige tekst. Door nu alvast deze kolom te activeren blijft de kolommen structuur ongewijzigd en de lezerservaring hetzelfde als er hier content geplaatst gaat worden.

Hier kan straks ook info geplaatst worden.